Thursday, May 8, 2008

Southlands Trip: Cotopaxi

Today I did not have class so I headed down south to meet up with Chris Gatzke and do some rock scaling.  Byron had been hyping up this boulder problem at Cotopaxi and from what he showed me I could not argue.  Chris kindly took part of his day off and we went out and we had a really good session.  Cotopaxi is in the Arkansas River Valley and is a near desert environment.  Extremely dry, sandy soil, cacti, and a lot of rock.  The plan was to hit up Eric's Sister, a 15 foot tall triple bulge of amazing and solid granite to another 10 feet or so of mild slab.  After working the moves out, I quickly was able to get to the lip but threw to a hold and fell to the ground.  Just as we had arrived at the boulder, a thunderstorm began and the top holds still were a little wet.  I spent some time getting some chalk on them and then was able to put it all together for the send.  The problem is awesome, with the difficulty crux right at the start into a series of large and powerful moves to a committing mantle at around 18 feet.  As for the grade, it falls somewhere in between Scalius and the Nickness for me.   Gatzke made some good progress on the biggest powerful move from an undercling to a decent crimp before blowing one of his tips out.



3 comments:

sock hands said...

bing. ok, i'm in for a fall camp out full assault w/ tr cleaning and dog beating... maybe we'll even happen across a shoot-out scene and getaway with mad cash and tell em it was byron, cause byron can take that fool for sure.

sock hands said...

ps: my mother in law would tell sketchy mexi-gangs NOTHING. in fact, she's savvy enough to be all like "where be my son in law at? shit, on the INTERWEB, dumb bishes!!"

twaikker said...

yo dog im heading to salida next weekend for FIBARK, and i thought i might hit up your V10, or at least grab the holds and feel them for a while...hit me up with directions if you can..peace

beckelhymerci@adams.edu