Monday, May 12, 2008

Mt Evans

On Sunday, Ander, Cletus, and I met Justin up at Evans for our first day of alpine bouldering.  None of us brought snow shoes, thinking that another week of melting from what Carlo told me was up there would be sufficient.   However, we spent a good amount of time post holing around area A between climbing.  We started out our day at a problem that TJ put up last fall called Tactical Error.  Using some funky mantle-esk beta I was able to put all the moves together quickly and get the second ascent.  Chris Schulte also showed up and after quickly destroying the first move repeatedly, was able to finish it off and get the 3rd ascent after we left.  The problem is exceeding hard to grade but the most similar thing I have done is Skinned in the Woods (V8) and this problem is a bit of a step up from that.  It is both more powerful and delicate, maybe in the V-Fun/Hard range. Next we headed up to A, where with a improved snowy landing, Justin and Ander both send Peasants into Leaders (V7) quickly.  Proud!   I was able to talk Justin into giving me 20 minutes on Silverback because it felt way better then it ever had to me before.  After figuring out the first move Justin sent and a few tries later I did too.  Psyched!  With the snowy landing, establishing on the start felt easier and I would put this problem in the 9 to 10 range. Before the day was over we made a quick trip to the Dali wall were I made some progress on Super Gui, coming close to sticking the big move out left twice from the start.  Due to my lack of motivation on carrying more then the necessities, I declined brining 10 pounds of photo equipment and left the media documentation up to Justin.  Check his blog for photos.

No comments: