Saturday, August 30, 2008

Since we talked last

It has been a while since I have written anything so here is a little update. I have climbed 10 of the last 11 days outside at Castle Rocks in Idaho, Boulder Canyon, Ute Pass, Chaos Canyon, and Area A, B, C, and D of Mt Evans. Its been nice to be back on rock so frequently and while my tips are owned I feel like I am getting the feeling for movement on rock again, something I think is as important as strength. Speaking of though, my strength is lacking right now and I plan on climbing in the gym a bit to try to improve that. Here are a few of my recent realizations;

1) The roof at Castle Rocks in Idaho is the best one I have ever climbed on and produces cooler roof holds than anywhere I have seen.
2) Seurat is the hardest line I have tried at Mt. Evans, irrespective of grade.
3) It took Max and I a while to find where we recognized Justin's shaved poodle Kai from, but we realized Kai played a supporting role in the recent Will Smith flick I Am Legend as an zombie dog.
4) Area C is the best one at Mt Evans, if only because no one is ever there.
5) Compared to Washington, I am still caught off guard by random people in Colorado knowing what this goofy futon type thing that I am carrying around on my back is.
6) Compared to Washington, I am still blown away that you would possibly see one other climber (or try 25 at Area D last Saturday) at a bouldering area with more than a 5 minute approach.
7) Having my own car is the best thing that has happened to my ability to climb since coming to Colorado College, but possibly the worst thing for my pocket book.
8) The following lines beckon me to try them: City Walls of Dying Dreams, Eye for an Eye, and Johnny G's Area C Roof (name anyone?).

2 comments:

deleted user said...

i will tell you that JG roof at C is called Wild and Woolly if you tell me what An Eye for an Eye is

hayden said...

http://iclimbrocks.blogspot.com/2007/10/late-season-mission-to-area-d.html

it is a very cool looking, tall 9/10 on crimps at the cell block e boulder. read the comment for it all.