Thursday, September 10, 2009

Leavenworth

On Tuesday, Bryan and I made a day trip out to Leavenworth. I always thought of Leavenworth as a bit far from Seattle for the day but realized on Tuesday it is almost an hour faster than going to Evans from the Springs if you include the hike. We warmed up at Mad Meadows. There we tried Cloaca (V10) a couple times before checking out The Sail and The Ram. Word had it that a hold had broken and it appeared that it had but without much consequence to either problem. I did the Sail to the lip (V9) and Bryan did The Ram (V12) to the lip first try. Both problems we had each respectively done before. Then I tried The Peephole (V11) a few times before agreeing that my previous conclusion of this climb being too ghetto was correct. Next up was Superman (V10), a powerful problem using underclimgs and a lot of compression out a roof. It was cool but neither one of us was close to doing it without a bit more effort so we moved on. We stopped at Droppin' the Kirshbaun (V10) and worked it for about an hour before giving up. Continuing up Icicle Creek Canyon, we stopped at the Cottonpony (V10). Bryan did it his second try. Despite hitting the good hold at the lip eight times in a row, I was never able to actually hold it. We then moved to Batman (V8), a cool problem with some powerful moves leading to a very hard mantle. Last time I tried this problem it was 95 out and the slopers were in the sun. After chalking the holds up I was able to send. Finally, we went to a problem neither of us had tried before, Spanman. This is a very cool compression problem out a streep prow to a committing top. I figured the moves out but was not able to put them all together. Overall a very full day of climbing, which left me sore the next day, something bouldering almost never does to me. We are hopefully heading back out tomorrow, likely to Gold Bar, then I am off to Yosemite on Monday.

Superman

Spanman



The Cottonpony


No comments: