Sunday, May 17, 2009

Boulder Canyon Epic and Clear Creek Sport Climbing

School finished on Wednesday and I am out for the summer! Well, until June 8th, when I start my three summer classes I am taking at Colorado College so that I can take fall semster off to just climb and still graduate on time. On Thursday, I headed up to Boulder to meet my friend Ander, who has recently gotten the itch to be a sport climber. We headed to Boulder Canyon so I could try a few blocks before roping up. However, before even attempting to climb I cut my right, middle finger on an 8 inch cooking knife that was sitting in my trunk, not in its case. It turned out to be a very bad cut and any sort of bouldering, especially on granite, was out of the question so we moved on to Clear Creek. We headed to the Primo Wall and warmed up on what appeared to be a nice moderate. It turned out we got on Quarts Sports (5.12b), which I nearly flashed but ended up just leaving giant blood stains all over the top of. I played ropegun for Ander, as he got a couple pitches in. Ander then moved onto Its Not Nice to Fool with Mother Nature (5.12c) and after figuring all the beta out, I burgled him and flashed the route, which was significantly less fingery than the first route and therefore did not reopen my wound. We ended the day at the New River Wall so Ander could work out some of the moves on Sonic Youth. Despite a frustratingly silly injury, it was a nice day out on the rock. Now, I am back in Washington and will hopefully be out on this states perfect granite by Tuesday. Updates to come.

No comments: