Monday, October 1, 2007

Cold Cold Climbing

The first block break of this year consisted of two days at Mt Evans and two days at RMNP. Old and new faces abounded and were generally friendly. Dan, Larissa, Ander and myself arrived at Evans on Thursday morning and packed in out stuff to camp overnight. Thursday was an amazingly beautiful day, probably one of the nicest I have experienced in the apline. Crisp temps along with a nice breeze made the clear blue skies still amazing for climbing. Everyone worked lots of stuff and I managed to come away with a send of the Mirrormask Stand. Paul attemped to climb the Dali wall in a day and in the process climbed Clear Blue Skies and No More Greener Grasses first go and Mental Masterbation second go. I worked No More Greener Grasses with Herm and Brian Capps for a while. Lynn Hill also showed up for a while and proved to all of us she still knows how to climb better than the rest of us combined. A true technician of style and form. The next day the skies had clouded over and the winds picked up but things remained dry. I had been eyeing the line Peasants into Leaders that Ben Scott had put up earlier this summer since I first visited Evans before school started and decided today was my last chance to attempt it before spending the next eight months regretting not trying it at least. After two falls from around 15 feet I managed to complete it to my great joy (and my spotters, thanks Ander for the body check to the pads on fall two). The climb is a true five star line and is one of the most amazing sends I have had. The next day at RMNP proved to be poor for climbing but after sticking it out under Tommy's Arete for 4 hours (I kid you not) durring rain, snow, and hale the skies cleared for long enough for Ander to do it. He was psyched and we quickly tried a few other things before wet looking clouds lead us to retreat for the day. The next morning was another amazingly clear day but Choas had been hit hard with a storm overnight. Most of the climbs were either wet or iced over. As we arrived we were met by four Jason Kehl and Abby Smith retreating due to the conditons. I did a problem that Paul said Dave put up that goes into the end of Freaks, it was sharp but still enjoyable. I spent the rest of my day working Bushpilot, falling off the last move a number of times. More ropes I guess. A strong crew of people from England also showed up. Si Moore made impressive progress on Freaks and I would not be surprised if he sent, assuming conditions do not get any worse. Dave Graham was also present to tell everyone that even though he was wearing layers and layers of clothes, it was not nearly as cold as Maine. On our way back down from Upper after looking at Jade, we were greeted by the angry cursings of JE echoing through the Canyon as he made negative progress on the Automator. GO POSITIVITY, GET PSYCHED!

P.S. probably the longest post ever written by anyone so if you made it this far give yourself a pat on the back

2 comments:

deleted user said...

Hayden, I think maybe we have met before but I'm not sure I would recognize you. Next time I see you you should introduce yourself. I have a bad memory. anyways sorry you had to hear that, very punter me and a rare moment for me to throw a tantrum like that. the slab on the backside of beirstadt is called Timeline.

hayden said...

i climbed once with you at dark waters last fall but besides that i think we may have only passed by each other. dont worry about last weekend, my friend went to go grab his water bottle that he forgot under tommys and was just a little wierded out by it. good luck on the automator, hopefully the season will stick around long enough