Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Washington's Little Switzerland

Today I headed to the River Boulders at Index. It was pretty cool, around 60 degrees, but humidity hovered around 90% all day. I wanted to try a number of climbs, but mainly Chutzpah, Kid Hops, and Hagakure. I felt Dave Graham's words today concerning the necessity of good conditions with river blocs as I got shut down by the first move sloper compression move of Chutzpah. I was able to do the rest of the problem quickly and am excited to try it again. I also did two of the best slab problems to the right of Chutzpah. Kid Hops and Hagakure also turned me down.

Chutzpah comes out the 45 on the left. Up the middle seam is an amazing, easy slab climb and the far right holds a deceptively tricky moderate.

Amazing river polished scoops.

An amazing, and most likely undone zig zaging arete.

Kid Hops is a one move, slab, stand-up-and-grab-it problem starting on chalky sidepull-jug and going to the lightly chalked horizontal rail.

No comments: